I usually like to write about my year. to get all reflective in words. this year, i'm not really feeling it. 2014 was a great year. a lot was awesome. a lot was just okay. i changed in ways i liked and in ways i didn't. i am looking forward to 2015, mostly because i don't really know what is in store. instead of a long review, i decided to choose a few pictures that made me think of this year and then write a little about what i want next year. so first, the photos....
looking ahead to 2015, i am struck by the fact that i'll turn 29. two months into the year, i'll be 29. i feel like 15 year old charly would be so freaking amazed by this. she thought 29 was SO OLD, SO ADULT. little did she know, guys. little did she know...
now 28 year old charly is like, cool, that means i am getting older, but no one will believe me when i say i'm 29 because i have a face of a sixteen year old so whatever AND my saturn return doesn't technically start, according to one of those online calculators, until next december so who is looking forward to that...
in all honesty though, i am someone actually excited by the prospect of turning 30. i don't know why. i'm sure i'll one day regret the thought.
anyway, tomorrow, jan. 1st, marks 14 months until i turn 30. so, i figured, instead of doing new years resolutions, i'd just do a 30 things i'd like to do before turning 30 list. it allows me to look forward to that upcoming decade change and it allows me to have two extra months to complete this stuff. it is a win-win. hopefully. so, here goes in no particular order:
- add another stamp to my passport: i've been lucky to travel to a lot of different places. but i want to see more. i have an unofficial goal of visiting every country in central america before i'm 35 (i got two down already) and i'd like to go to south africa, croatia, turkey, iceland...the list goes on. i'll take visiting at least one new country in the next 14 months. (we escaped to mexico on 2/1/15)
- vacation with just pablo: we have never actually taken a vacation together, just the two of us. i'd like us to do that. that would be nice.
- return to omega: i went to omega for a yoga training in 2013 and loved it. i felt at home there. i'd like to go back for some bit of time.
- go wine tasting at a winery: i've done wine tasting before, but never at a winery. now that pablo and i have a wine fridge (a christmas gift from his parents), i'd like to up my wine knowledge. (completed 1/10/15)
- read at least 30 books: this may be pushing it but what the hell! i used to read 30 books in a summer (okay, i was maybe 15 at the time and wasn't working and had like no responsibilities...), i can read 30 in the next 14 months, right? ....right?
- finish 4 full-length plays: so i am kinda cheating since i have already started two...but i tend to be slow in the playwriting department when it comes to full-lengths. i need a little push to get myself going.
- simplify my wardrobe: i still have that wanna-be-sorta-minimalist thing in me. i'd love to get my wardrobe down to like 100 items...that i actually can wear and like. i might make this one more specific as i go. but i want to simplify! was is it so hard?
- finish my mom's scarf and my grandma's hat: i am crocheting them now but i have a bad habit of giving up projects. if everything goes to plan, this can be the first thing i cross off this list. (completed 1/2/15)
- get dairy out of my diet for good: yup. dairy and i should have been done a long time ago...and we have been, but i always go crawling back and my stomach hates me for it. enough is enough. this will be one step toward getting my diet back under control.
- go to the dentist: i am not telling you when i went to the dentist last because you may not be my friend anymore if i tell you.
- self-publish another book of poetry: i promised i would and pablo's mom has already asked me if i am so it is going to happen.
- run another half marathon or finally do a marathon: i want to do a marathon. i want to but...we'll see. another half marathon feels more likely and, honestly, feels more healthy for my knees.
- have a daily meditation practice: i want to have a daily meditation practice working like a well oiled machine, like at least 50 days of meditating in a row, by march 1st, 2016.
- maintain a consistent yoga practice: i've been practicing yoga on and off now for nearly 9 years, but it has never been consistent for more than maybe a year. there are reasons for that--running, for instance, became a focus and i always had a hard time maintaining the two--but i want to have a strong, dedicated, disciplined practice and now is as good a time as any. my goal is to go at least 3 times a week and work my way to practicing 5 times a week.
- be able to do a headstand in the middle of the room: i feel like if i practice more, this will happen. i think 14 months of constant practice may allow me to find this pose. i am not going to stress over it, but i am going to practice it and see what happens.
- save $20 a week: simple saving cause dolla bills are a necessary evil.
- open a retirement account: because, as a freelance writer/editor/playwright/performer/whatever i am, i'm going to need to plan for that shit now.
- bring my credit card bill down to $___ a month: Ya'll don't need to know that number.
- go out dancing: IT HAS BEEN FAR TOO LONG AND IT IS RIDICULOUS THAT I HAVE TO ADD THIS TO THE LIST BUT WHATEVER I ACCEPT IT.
- produce blackbird delight's first show: nuff said. time to get on it.
- watch the sound of music and mary poppins: i've never seen these films and i'm tired of getting shit for it.
- replace my underwear: this may seem weird, but i want new, nice underwear that makes me feel good. yeah.
- get a ukulele and play it: i know, i know, i know, but i want one okay..?
- get a haircut: this is like the dentist one...though i did get a haircut in july...it is just possible that won't get another one unless mandated by a higher power.
- go on a date with pablo to a jazz club: because we'd both enjoy this and it would be nice so we should do it.
- visit my friends in boston: i suck and have promised to do this for 4 years now. sorry lily and jon.
- complete the whole30: i learned i am pre-diabetic this year. so i have to watch carbs and sugars among other things. i want to see if this diet works for me. this, along with ditching dairy, is my step toward finding a diet that really works for me.
- spend time by the water: like a week, by the water, i don't care where. i just need some water time. preferably water that i can swim in during a time a year when such a thing would be favorable.
- journal: i want to bring some more reflection into my life in a private way. so i'd like to work up to journaling twice a week.
- actually have a 30th birthday party: yeah. i never really want to do much for my birthday, but i'd like to have a party and have people celebrate with me. so hold me to it, okay?
happy new year, folks.